Thursday, April 7, 2011

Good Bye

Little did I know that when the ultrasound lady revealed we were having twins, the changes were only beginning. The reality of having multiples changes every perception you ever had about your life. This revelation brings about uncertainty. And of course uncertainty breeds fear. The uncertainty over finances; properly sized cars, houses, and strollers; and of course the uncertainty of how to care for two babies at once are always present. And that means fear is never far away.

Thankfully, at about the same time we learned of Arica's double load, we began meeting weekly with a group of other young couples at our church. We didn't know any of these people at our first meeting. It was just that, a first meeting for all of us. But over these past several months our new friends have helped us grow in tremendous ways. Because of the love we all share for God and for each other Arica and I were able to achieve a certain peace in our lives that can only come from the Man Upstairs.

So as we journeyed hand in hand towards the great unknown we put our faith in God to deliver us. Of course we didn't just say, "OK God. Wave your magic wand and hook us up." We tried to remain faithful. We did what we could.

I sold my boat. Arica prepared to sell her car. We were making adjustments to our life in order to welcome our new little blessings. Then the big change that I didn't really expect came along. It is a huge blessing, and I have been thanking God every day since receiving the news.

I got a new job. This job comes with a nearly 30% pay increase and multitudes of benefits that never existed for me before. This new opportunity allows me to better provide for our growing family, while at the same time planning for our future. Needless to say it didn't take me long to accept the offer.

So after ten years I am changing jobs. The fact that this is happening just a few months before our twins arrive is not lost on me. Some might say the timing is bad because I won't be around as much to help with all the new responsibilities that come with having two babies at once. Arica and I don't feel that way. We know it will be hard, but this opportunity is certainly a blessing. And because of this blessing April 18 will be the first day of what is hopefully a wonderful new career for me.

But with great gain often comes great sacrifice. The first sacrifice for me is going to be this blog. I have written 99% of the material found here while at work. With my new, much heavier, workload that is no longer going to be possible.

What about writing at home? There is a problem with that too. My new employer is located an hour away. Until we can sell our house and move I will be spending two hours in a car every day. Our house has already been on the market for ten months so the daily commute could last a while.  Because of the commute and my increased responsibilities, I will be sacrificing time at home. Every bit of free time that I have will be given to Arica and our THREE KIDS.

I just can't manage all the changes and new opportunities in my life and this blog at the same time. So it is with a great deal of sadness that I announce this will be my last post.

I treasure every single friendship I've made through this venture. Those of you who stop by regularly have truly made a huge difference in my life. Your friendship and continued support means a lot to me. Those of you that read and only comment once in a while, or even never, are also much appreciated. I never knew so many people that I've never met could impact me in such a way. So from the bottom of my heart, Thank you.

There is always the chance that I will return. I will definitely feel guilty that there are two books on our bookshelf about Braden, and the twins might not have any. I'll surely have plenty of great tales to tell. The question is how will I tell them? How will I remember them?

If I choose to once again document things here at Life of a New Dad, you'll be the first to know. Until that happens, and in case it never does, you can keep up with me on Facebook. And maybe even Twitter. I hope to see you all there.

Thanks so much. And God bless you all.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes. And once they invent a great way to blog while you drive, I hope you come back.

Ben said...

All the best, sorry to see you go. Hope you have a great time with the twins!

Sheila said...

awww! Happy and Sad! :(
Going to find you on FB!

Squilla's Aunt said...

To everything there is a season...

Blessings to you and your family!

Ordinary Dad said...

I was just getting to know you, in fact this may even be my first comment on your blog! I'm sad you have to go, but you must do what is best for your family. Congrats on the new job and I hope the twins come healthy and happy!

Mike said...

In blog land there never is goodbye unless you delete your blog!

It's been my pleasure knowing you!

Jen said...

I totally understand but this makes me sad.

Don't quit! Just make a post when you can.

Please. I just have to know when those babies are born.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Wow Bud, going to miss you a lot. You are one of the good ones. Understandable though.

How about see you later? There may be a time when you can come back. Or at least do a guest post for me about being the dad of amazing one year old twins, or two year olds. Whenever. Just give me a shout out.

Good luck.

SurprisedMom said...

I am beyond sad. But, you will have so many new, positive things happening in your life, that I can't help but be happy for you, Arica, Braden and the twins. Good luck with everything. I'll be catching up with you on FaceBook and Twitter now and again. Thanks for some wonderful reading and beautiful photos.

john cave osborne said...

you are one of my all-time favorites. there's something so genuine about you.

i'm so proud of you, man. i and totally get the whole "reality in phases" that you're experiencing. in other words... yeah, the ultrasound revealed twins. but only time reveals what it truly means.

and as that definition becomes clearer and clearer, decisions begin to make themselves.

your faith in the Lord will serve you well. it's a great unknown, and a new normal you're about to find.

and through that process there is much growth, yet with that growth much pain, and within that pain miraculous beauty.

God bless you, friend.

Katherine said...

Congratulations on the job. I know that must be a huge relief financially. It makes me sad to see you go. I'll miss reading your posts and hearing about Braden, who seems to be so much like my son, and the upcoming twins. But it's completely understandable.

I spend 2 hours in the car each day as well, but an hour of it is with Ethan there, too. Obviously, your family and time spent with them must come first.

I wish you and Arica and your three children all the best and will keep you all in my prayers as you transition into your new job. And, of course, I will keep up with you through Facebook (and Twitter). Good luck. You deserve it!

Unknown said...

don't say goodbye, just say see ya later. We'll all be here waiting on some updates and the kids.

Burgh Baby said...

I hope to still see an announcement of sorts so I can be sure to offer congratulations when they are due.

Good luck with everything!

Brandy@YDK said...

i completely understand. i'm super excited for you and the new job. that's so awesome! i hope you won't have to travel as much.

Anonymous said...

never commented before, but have followed you for a looong time, you have given me inspiration at times, and guidence at others. As a new father myself, I blindly stumbled upon your blog, but avidly followed your adventures. Your commitment to God is awsome and I can only hope that I will someday be capable of achieving such a good relationship with him.
Good luck, and like everyone else said, put an update on sometime, Im sure you will have some times in the weee hours of the morning when the babies are up

Otter Thomas said...

Anonymous: Just in case you ever come back by this post I wanted to say that was one of my all time favorite comments. I am glad that you enjoyed my blog and found some sort of comfort here. God bless you and good luck with your family.

Diplo_Daddy said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog. All the best to you....

triles said...

Sorry to hear you're closing up shop. I have really enjoyed getting to know you through your writing. This is a great blog about Fatherhood, and I'll miss it. I'd like to echo what others have said by suggesting you leave the door open, just a bit, for the occasional driveby post as you enter this new stage of life. All the best-Tim

Anonymous said...

Otter, we will miss you man. Stay in touch and best of luck with the 2 new blessings and the new job. We hope to see ya back here soon.

Jack said...

I am late to the party but I wanted to wish you well.

Sarah Fader said...

You will definitely be missed. I hope you come back and tell us about the twins . Lots of love to you, Caricature, Braden, and the babies :-D

OKDad said...

The exact same thing happened to friends of mine. The good part is that the first year is just a blur, and then you come out of it, and everything starts getting normal again.