Friday, October 8, 2010

You Haven't Lived

...until you have thrown your son so high in the air that you lost him in the sun.

...until you have watched your kid fill his bath tub buckets with cold water and then dump them on his head.

...until you have rolled 50 cars across the room on the hardwood floor one after another just for fun.

...until you have been vomited on by a newborn enough times that you don't even flinch anymore.

...until you can decipher your child's mood by the color of his poop.

...until you have eaten cereal you found on the floor because you didn't feel like walking to the trash can.

...until your body has been used as a toilet, a tissue, a napkin, and a jungle gym.

...until your kid commandeers your dinner plate and then scolds you for eating "his" food.

...until you develop a strong desire to hear a small human recite animal sounds.

...until you have eaten leftover dishes made by Gerber.

...until you have watched cartoons at 4 am.

...until you realize that all the stuff listed above is really the "good stuff" in life.

15 comments:

Katherine said...

You got that right. I couldn't have said it better!

ericdbolton said...

Amen.

Brian Miller said...

haha. that is some good stuff...those losing him in the sun is a bit scary...lol

Unknown said...

Have I lived if I haven't done them all? Do I get to pick and choose? Or does any single one of those put me on the "have lived" list? :)

Keith Wilcox said...

That is so true! I've totally eaten cereal from the floor! HAHA

Gretchen said...

YEA! Two enthusiastic thumbs up!!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Sooo true. Great post.

Rob said...

Great Post!

Captain Dumbass said...

Nodded at every one of those.

WeaselMomma said...

this is a great list and all so true. You haven't lived until you have been told by a small child, "I love you" complete with a huge smile and a big drool filled kiss.

Anonymous said...

GREAT list mate! Am very jealous as I'm not a father...but these are the kinds of little things I just know would make my life complete. I exprience them with my nieces and nephews but I guess it's a little different.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on everything but the vomit. An infant, sure, but a toddler, no thanks.

Father Knows (Travis) Best said...

I eat stuff off the floor all the time. When I was younger it was the "10-second rule." Now it's the "10-hour rule."

john cave osborne said...

my personal fave:

...until you can decipher your child's mood by the color of his poop.

this post was excellent.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff