Monday, December 29, 2008

Birth

Having just become a first time father I have lots of thoughts and experiences to share but I want to start with a little bit about the birth. My son was born on November 12th at 5:27 pm and weighed 8 lbs 5 oz. We had a scheduled birth because my wife was past her due date by about a week. We arrived at the hospital at the ridiculous hour of 5 am. The labor was pretty easy for her during the biggest part of the day. The only real problem came when the anesthesiologist decided that she had too much pain medication. This led to some screaming, crying, and even some towel throwing. Yes it is the miracle of childbirth. I could have bit the guys head off for making such a wonderful medical decision but of course he was nowhere to be found. He was probably off watching his soaps ala Dr. Greg House.

After we made it through that ordeal and eventually got some more pain meds my son was finally thrust into the world. I don't know how or why it happened but I got weak in the knees and according to the nurses turned some strange shade of green. I had to sit down in order to avoid busting open my head and needing treatment of my own. The next thing I knew it was over and I was holding my son and talking to him while he stared up at me taking in every word.

Childbirth is a crazy ordeal for the husband much less the wife, but when it is over you have the most amazing gift you can ever receive. I will forever remember the day that I stopped being just another jerk and became Daddy.

1 comment:

Manic Mommy said...

I don't know that I ever heard my husband tell our son's birth stories without having them colored by my own remembrances. That was lovely.