Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Running with Scissors

I am thinking about the scope of my blog today. What kind of blog is this? A friend of mine told me recently that he considered it sort of a road map of what he could expect when he became a father. Of course we look at life through very similar eyes so maybe he can actually get something from all this mess.

In reality I don't think I have ever offered a word of advice in this space. I have told a lot of stories. In fact I think that is really my writing style. I tell a story mixed with a few examples and references to things that I find important in life like Seinfeld, Pearl Jam, and baseball.

I have also told some jokes and made some fairly obvious observations. One of my favorite things to do is philosophize on different topics relating to parenting. In these cases I have told about my philosophies on what is important to me in raising my son. Of course all of this is just wishful thinking. In fact I write a lot of this stuff as a target for my own parenting efforts. I rarely hit the bulls eye but it is nice to have something to aim at.

Still I have offered no advice. Maybe some day I will drop some profound wisdom on you readers, but today I can only offer this:

While keeping your children from dangerous activities like running with scissors is very important to their physical health, it is also important for us as parents to ensure the mental health of our offspring by not being too overbearing in our desire to keep them from harm.

After all you don't want to raise a child that ends up like this, do you?

8 comments:

ericdbolton said...

Yeah, I noticed the more advice I give inversely affects the number of comments I get.

So I should keep doing what I do.

Keep on keeping on Mr Otter.

SurprisedMom said...

Very profound. Very funny. And no, we do not want our children, even when they grow up, to run around with scissors!

rxBambi said...

I'm not sure either but I just laughed out loud at that clip. too funny!!

Anonymous said...

Cheers, they just don't make television like that any more. As far as the advice goes, I think sharing experiences is much more useful. I've got no advice to offer either and I prefer it that way. Keep doing what you do.

Jack Steiner said...

The most important person to blog for...is yourself. If you are happy than it is worth continuing in whatever fashion pleases you.

WeaselMomma said...

Yours is a blog about the Life of a New Dad. It's that simple.

Melisa Wells said...

Good post.

I'm laughing though, because I hope you write about Ted Danson or Woody Harrelson tomorrow. You're on a "Cheers" roll! hahahahaha

Tom said...

There are plenty of advice blogs out there. Write about what's going on, and how you see it. That's exactly what we all like to read.