Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Rednecks, Hillbillies, Farm Animals, and Rubber Duckies

Many of you know I celebrated a birthday earlier this month. Every year my birthday means a few things. One, I am getting older. Two, I will try to get away with anything and everything for one day. Three, The county fair is in town.

Growing up my birthday was always on the same week as the fair. That situation had its benefits. It ensured that I would always remember the fair, and it allowed me to pretend each year that there was a festival in my honor.

As a kid the fair meant rides and the demolition derby. The derby is the social event of the year in Arkansas County. It is the place to see and be seen. I haven't been to the derby in over a decade, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

Nowadays I am a resident of Garland county. That means I can still frequent the county fair during the week of my birthday. Even though the location has changed the fair remains pretty much the same. The fair will always mean rednecks and hillbillies. It will always mean people competing for the thrilling prize of best cow, pig, chicken, duck, rabbit, and mullet. The fair certainly still means carnies that scare the life out of small children.

Even with all the constants the fair is taking on new meaning as a father. This year it meant Braden picking up ducks for a prize. Then it meant Braden wanting the duck rather than the prize which led to intense negotiations.

It meant riding the merry go round.


 Most of all it meant good family fun and it always will as long as it never means Braden is barking for the yak lady or spreading pixie dust on the tilt-a-whirl like cousin Eddie's kids.

6 comments:

Brandy@YDK said...

public places with kids is exhausting.

Katherine said...

Of all the the things I remember about Foreman, the fair ranks at the top of that list. Rides, pigs, cows, and carnies!

Our fair is in August. It's 100 degrees. I haven't taken Ethan.

seashore subjects said...

I love love love the fair! And why can't they have a duck as a prize - it seems kinda mean doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun time. My son loves merry go rounds too. I'm still dizzy from the seven hours he insisted on riding one back in June :)

Mike said...

Happy belated birthday and it looks like fun was had by everyone...

Eleven Creations Partner Program said...

Wow, A cute and happy family! You guys, remind us that a family bond is a must. I'll bring my son and my wife into the park on Saturday. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story.