Friday, July 9, 2010

Living With a Parrot

Braden is learning new words as fast as Arica and I can say them. Among other things that means we have to watch our mouths unless we want Braden to sound like Chris Rock. Now I can't go on a profanity laced tirade about the Cardinals bullpen blowing two straight games. If I did that Braden would certainly share some of those 4-letter words the next day at school. Our house is not a big cursing place anyway, but from now on we will probably employ a few more shucks and darns.

Of course all Braden's talking is exciting and brings a lot of fun to the house as well. One fun thing I like to do each day, now that Braden is in full Polly wants a cracker mode, is to ask him about his day at school. That conversation usually sounds something like this.

Me: How was your day at school? Were you a good boy?
Braden: I dood buoy
Me: Did you play?
Braden: I pay
Me: Did you play with a ball?
Braden: I pay ball
Me: Did you play with a car?
Braden: I pay car
Me: Did you eat?
Braden: I eat
Me: Did you eat a cookie?
Braden: I tookie
Me: Did you watch tv?
Braden: I teetee
Me: Did you take your monkey?
Braden: I mummy
Me: Do you want to go to school again tomorrow?
Braden: NO!

8 comments:

Katherine said...

Haha! That's so cute. Kids this age are just so much fun!

Manic Mommy said...

Just adorable. They are little parrots - and yes, it's a very dangerous time.

The swears are obvious, it's the 'stupids' and 'hates' that you don't think about until you hear them in a sweet little voice.

Brandy@YDK said...

hahahaha. so freaking cute

Unknown said...

That is awesome! I do the same when my wife asks me questions about work.

Spencer Park said...

He he, funny because it's true!

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, I know that all to well. A few months ago I had a car nearly drive me off the road. And while I've done alright at curtailing my potty mouth, I exclaimed "You stupid..." then bit my tongue before finishing my thought. All I heard the rest of the way home was "stupid, stupid, stupid"

SurprisedMom said...

I love this! It's so true.

And I understand about watching the language around a child Braden's age. Someday I'll tell you the story about The Oldest being an 18-month-old, hand in mine at a grocery store and repeating the four letter word she heard a fellow shopper say. I think my jaw actually did hit the ground.

Tom said...

Classic! He knows how to respond to the really impactful questions.