I haven't had time to put together a deep thoughtful post for this week. I just got through driving all day long. My only thoughts were to avoid all the crazy drivers and to find my exits. Much of my day was spent thinking things like...exit171...US65N...exit 171...did you see that new Camaro...I love the return of the American muscle car...What was that exit again?
With all that excitement going on my only choice is to share something about our trip. I decided to share a list of things that can help other's who dare to take their wife and baby on a business trip. Some of these things I learned by screwing up. Others I learned by making good choices. I won't tell you which are which. That is up to your imagination. Here is my list of tips for mixing business with pleasure and with your wife and with your baby.
- Make sure you get a large hotel room. Your family does not want to feel like they are waiting in a prison cell while you are at work.
- Plan some activities for them. Again they don't want to feel like prisoners while you are working.
- Don't come back to the hotel talking about work. If every minute is going to be about your job then you might as well stay home and invite them to your office.
- Try not to invite them to a job when you will have to start really early. If you come home tired and grumpy everyone loses. Especially if you have failed on any of the first three items.
- Give serious consideration to the sleeping arrangements. If the baby doesn't sleep then nobody in the hotel room sleeps. Neither does the guy next door.
- If you are driving be sure to have a flexible time schedule to allow for stopping to feed, change, or just play with the baby.
- Bring plenty of drinks and snacks for the car ride so you don't have to stop and wake the baby if they are sleeping. On a long car ride a sleeping baby is the ultimate goal.
Those are just some ideas. Spending time with family is always a great thing. Taking a little time to get things just right makes it even better.