Friday, March 11, 2011

Waiting on Reality

The words "You are having twin girls" must be among the most frightening phrases in the English language. It's like my own personal "The British are coming! The British are coming!" Yet I sit here every day in a state of perpetual bliss. I don't have a care in the world.

So what's wrong with me? Why am I not more worried or frightened?

I assume that the day of fear will come. The day when my lack of knowledge no longer impedes the storm clouds of worry. To this point the perfect storm of time and ignorance has kept my fears at bay. Raising twins is still a few months off. Until they arrive I will just enjoy my life...said the dummy.

For now I wait and watch Arica's ever expanding belly. I watch the outward results of two growing babies. I watch as tiny boxes of shoes keep making their way through our doors. As pink and yellow dresses and other miniature outfits parade through our home, I stand idly by with a stupid grin on my face.

I'm having twin girls, I think to myself. Then I continue watching some mindless episode of The Office more concerned with the well being of Michael Scott than my own.

I know reality will come raining down on me one day like a thunderbolt from above. This reality could be sparked by a doctor's visit, a double stroller purchase, or simply by the reasoning center of my brain waking from its winter slumber.

However this thing is triggered, I hope it doesn't come while I'm driving. The last thing I need is to drive off in a ditch somewhere sobbing uncontrollably.

If that happens it will probably go down like this:

When the police arrive on the scene I mutter through trembling lips, "The twins are coming....THE TWINS ARE COMING" as I stare through the officer with wild unfocused eyes.

He asks me to calm down and repeat myself.

"I'm having twin girls," I say in an ominous tone.

At which point he kindly sends me on my way, understanding that I have suffered enough for one day. But he really doesn't understand what having twins means. No one can. Not even me.

And that, my friends, is why I'm cruising through life without a care in the world.

6 comments:

Brandy@YDK said...

Everything will be good!

Ray Colon said...

Hi Robert,

All the best to you and your growing family. I found your blog via your recent comment on SurprisedMom, and I'm glad that I followed the link.

This was an entertaining post. Your feeling of standing "idly by with a stupid grin on my face," is similar to how I have described my time in the delivery rooms for the births of my two daughters.

I think that you are on to something with your wait and see approach because all of the preparation in the world can often be of very little use when the moment arrives.

Ray

Rob said...

LOL. Great post. I couldn't imagine having twins. My best friend is having twins due July (one boy/one girl) and it is still hard for me to wrap my head around it. One is enough work two is down right punishment for something you did to someone and now are getting paid back for it. Guess when the twins arrive we won't be hearing from you much!

WeaselMomma said...

You have nothing to fear and your outlook is great. Once the girls come you will lose sleep and your lifestyle will change, but there is nothing that you need to fear.
A good strong father and husband you are.

SurprisedMom said...

I think because you are already a dad, having TWO girls won't be as hard as you think. The "parenting a newborn" part of your brain will kick in, as will the "I can get by on two hours of sleep a night," portion of your brain.

Seriously, you're a great Dad. You'll get it.

Anonymous said...

I was only having one daughter and I was the same way. You'll deal with it as things happen.