Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Positive Response to Baseball

Just before his bedtime Braden usually snuggles up with Mommy and Daddy on the couch and watches TV. He watches some TV, and the rest of the time he uses us as his own personal jungle gym. For the most part though it is a good way for Braden to wind down a bit before he goes to bed.

Last night Braden was on the couch with me. I couldn't find anything that I thought he would watch so I put it on my old standby, ESPN. They were playing an NBA game at the time. Braden likes watching basketball most of the time. Last night he kept saying ball, ball, ball.

While I was still searching the menu for something to watch I noticed a spring training game was on Fox Sports. It was the Texas Rangers who I care nothing about. I wouldn't normally bother to watch such an uninteresting game, but I wanted to see what Braden's reaction would be. This summer will be Braden's first baseball season since he began understanding what is on TV when he watches.

I changed the channel to the baseball game.  I nearly lost Braden right off the bat because the game hadn't started yet. He was fidgeting around a lot. I could tell he was thinking about making his escape. Finally the game started and I said, "Look Braden. They're playing baseball. See him throw the ball."

It definitely caught his eye. Braden kept watching as the pitcher threw a few more pitches. Finally the batter hit the ball to the outfield for a single.

After the hit Braden got up and left the couch. He left the room. I figured that the great baseball experiment had failed. I would have to chase him down now and play something else until bedtime.

Then Braden came back around the corner. He had his "bat". It was actually a golf club, but he doesn't use it in a golfing way. He swings it like a baseball bat at everything in his path.  He brought it over to the couch. Then he hit the couch. Then he hit the chair. Then he hit me.

After a few moments of wild swings Braden turned his attention back to the game. He carried his "bat" right up to the TV and stood staring at the next hitter as he took his cuts.

It seems like such a little thing, but as a parent this is really the good stuff. It is great to see your child recognize something and take part. Watching their mind work is always amazing.

It is even better for me personally to see my son respond positively to a baseball game. It was great to see Braden retrieve his bat and march back onto the playing field. It makes me dream of that day in the future when Braden will emerge from his room with a glove and ask his Dad to play catch.

12 comments:

rxBambi said...

I remember playing catch with my dad... once. Yep. Once. But it was still fun =)

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I can only imagine how thrilled you are that he is showing some interest in baseball. I'm not a fan myself, but would love my son to get into it over football.

ericdbolton said...

I can't sit thru a baseball game, but Little League seems to be in my family's blood.

My daughter started tball this week.

She loves it.

Chris @ Cleverfather said...

At least he picked baseball over basketball! =p

Rob said...

I am not a fan of baseball but that is awesome that Braden is so interested. You must be a proud dad right now.

seashore subjects said...

What a little smarty! Does he have the mini-tee with the bat yet? Sounds like he would love it.

Daddy Files said...

I know exactly how you feel. I've been preparing Will for baseball season and just this morning he walked up to me and said:

"Booooo Inkees."

Which of course translates to "Boooo Yankees!" I'm so proud. Another budding Red Sox fan has learned to hate all things New York. It lets me know I'm raising him right.

Fred/@FullCustodyDad said...

How exciting that he showed an interested and made a connection. I agree with SeaShore, it might be time for that plastic bat and ball-and soon! The last thing you want is Braden to take a good swing with the golf club at the TV even if he has great form.

Inspiration while watching the Rangers? Maybe there is hope for my team yet--then again, maybe not.

Go Braden!

KWG said...

Right on. Time to play catch! Bea loves throwing and catching (or trying to), but not necessarily baseball or softball.

Yet.

Unknown said...

Wow! I would be so proud right now. I hope Jack feels the same way.

I remember as a kid thinking how boring baseball was... I think otherwise now.

Whit said...

My son just started Little League. It's awesome!

SurprisedMom said...

Well, Braden is amazing! I know you're going to love playing catch with him. Coincidently, I was driving by the park today and say little ones playing baseball (aimed at their level of course). It was an awwwwww moment. They looked so cute!