Thursday, February 3, 2011

Potty Training: Shower Poop

We are still trudging along the uphill slope that is potty training. There are wins. There are losses. The wins are a lot of fun. But the losses are messy and smell really bad.

Arica is doing all the heavy lifting on this one. She is the stay at home Mom tasked with sending Braden to the toilet time and time again. She is responsible for arguing, pleading, bribing, and ultimately making all the potty training rules.

Braden is still wearing underwear every day. He almost never pees in them. In fact he pretty much never pees during his nap either. Arica always puts a diaper on him just in case, but it has been weeks since that diaper has soaked up any of the little man's pee.

Pooping is another story, which brings us to the title of today's post. For a long while Braden's favorite plan for evading toilet pooping was to wait until his Mother took her morning shower. At that time Braden would hang out in the bathroom and do his business. He didn't poop in the shower, or the toiler for that matter, but he did his pooping while the shower was in use.

Arica, being the super mom that she is, started putting him on the toilet when she took a shower. She would make him stay there until he did his business. He would stay too. He learned much faster than I did that his Mom means business. Just another indication that he is already smarter than me.

We still have accidents like any other potty training family, but Braden is really doing a great job. Yesterday he used the toilet twice. I'm really proud of him for being such a fast  learner and doing this at such a young age. Underwear, persistence, patience, and a great wife seem to be the keys to this potty training stuff, as far as I can tell.

Operation avoid three kids in diapers at one time still has hope as long as the trend line keeps moving in the right direction.

16 comments:

Creative Play Plus said...

Potty training is tough! It sounds like you and your wife are off to a great start though. We wrote a series of posts on potty training. I attached a link to one that I think may help you in your journey to potty mastery.

Good luck

http://www.creativeplayplus.com/2010/12/15/part-six-potty-training-what-should-one-avoid/

Katherine said...

That's great to hear! Good job, Braden and Arica.

Manic Mommy said...

I don't think a blogger can get through potty training without blogging about it. It's a defense mechanism designed to preserve sanity.

God bless Arica and continued success on your anti-three-in-diapers crusade!

Corinne said...

he'll get it someday, and then you'll never look back. Wait until he starts wiping his bum by himself. Glory hallelujah.

Captain Dumbass said...

Ya, what Corinne said.

seashore subjects said...

Yea! He does sound like he is well on his way to being diaper free. I needed Arica when mine were little!

Tom said...

You are doing great. Braden is making spectacular progress, and is shaping up to be a first class older brother. Nobody escapes poop duty; it's something that every parent must experience. Trust me: it could be far worse.

Russ said...

Poop was the easy one for me, with both kids. The wiz, on the other hand, still eludes my daughter.

Unknown said...

Shower poop. Got it. I'm in charge of this during the day. And I'm failing miserably. I must remember the shower poop.

Momo Fali said...

I have to give her credit; I couldn't even be pregnant for my 2nd until the 1st one was potty trained. There was no way my nagging nausea would have held up against apple/cinnamon oatmeal poop diapers.

Brandy@YDK said...

persistence, patience, and a great wife seem to be the keys to this potty training stuff

I'm screwed

WeaselMomma said...

That's the worst! Every child does that in the shower or the tub at some point in time.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome I hope he gets it before the twins arrive. Our son's potty training efforts are failing miserably because the baby usually wants to eat about the same time I"m trying to get him to use the facilities. Then, of course, he'll mess his pants two seconds after I get the bottle in her mouth.

Melisa Wells said...

That wife of yours is a smart lady.

SurprisedMom said...

I hail Arica. I wish I would have had the patience she does.

potty training said...

potty training need many times and effort and your patience.
Your experience is helpful to me to start potty training.