Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Monster Jam

Are you familiar with the term "He's all boy" that people use to describe certain little boys?

My understanding of this term is it means a boy that has very manly traits. The phrase is used to describe little boys that are rough and loud. It is meant for boys that like to wrestle, play outdoors, and get dirty. Boys that are "all boy" love to play with cars, trucks, footballs, and baseballs. You get the idea.

We hear this phrase all the time referring to Braden. While it sometimes seems like a strange descriptive, it still makes me quite proud. I've mentioned here many times that I consider myself somewhat of a manly man. I like hunting, fishing, sports, and the like. I am capable of repairing some things. I don't wear pink. I don't use loofahs. I don't like lovable descriptive words. So needless to say I beam with pride each time I hear that Braden is all boy.

Our little man went above and beyond to live up to this description on Saturday.

Some friends of ours asked us late in the day if we wanted to go with them and their son to Little Rock. The destination was Monster Jam. For those of you non redneck types, Monster Jam is a monster truck rally. We were hesitant because we just weren't sure how Braden would handle the noise, even with ear plugs, and the assigned seat concept. Taking him to any type of 2 or 3 hour performance has disaster written all over it. But we really like this couple and wanted to spend some time with them so we took a chance.

It turned out to be one of the most enjoyable nights I have ever spent with Braden. There is no way that anyone in that building (and it was packed by the way. Remember this is Arkansas) had more fun than Braden.
He sat on my lap without moving for nearly three hours. He was so intently focused on the trucks that you couldn't even get his attention. He leaned from side to side to follow the action around the guys bald spot in front of us. Braden would point at the trucks and say thing when they were in action. I couldn't hear what he was saying but it looked really intense.

He clapped on his own at times when he really liked something.

The first time all night that a truck approached the tall van to jump it Braden was pointing in anticipation.

My favorite part of the night came during a donut session. You wouldn't believe how fast one monster truck, Predator, could do donuts. It actually made me cheer. During one donut Braden just started pumping his fists and bouncing up and down. He was fired up. It was awesome!

After the show while we were trying to get out Braden even enjoyed watching the fork lift remove the smashed cars from the arena. I told him they were cleaning up the cars. Braden said, "Clean up cars" all the way home.

He loved the show so much that Sunday morning he was turned around in his seat at church telling the lady behind us, "Big Trucks! Clean up cars!" over and over again right in the middle of the sermon.

He's all boy.

9 comments:

Katherine said...

That is awesome! As you could probably guess...we get that phrase all the time, too. I'd love to see how E would react at a Monster Jam.

David Macaulay said...

great to read your blog. I'm glad I found it.

David

http://britsintheus23.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

we use the term "he's all boy" a lot too! so cool he had such a good time

James (SeattleDad) said...

We would never go to such an event since it's just not us, but I know that Lukas would go ape over one too.

He's that kind of boy as well.

I might have to make an exception for his sake.

Sarah Fader said...

I've heard this expression "all boy" or he's a "typical boy." It kind of irritates me, but I know what it means. Ari likes "boy" things a lot. Like cars, trucks, airplanes trains, vehicles in general.

That's so great that Braden was engaged like that at Monster Jam. He must have loved all the big trucks!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to take my son to something like this. I believe the Monster Jam is swinging through Charlotte sometime soon.

Brandy@YDK said...

Thats awesome. Did you do ear plugs? We've debated taking g to something like that.

Tom said...

Way awesome! They don't have a lot of monster truck rallies in Oregon, just a lot of hemp fests and hippie stuff, so I haven't been able to let my son have the raw joy that is big tires and loud engines and the smell of half-spent hydrocarbons. And giant mechanical dinosaurs. Sounds like Braden had a blast!

SurprisedMom said...

I KNEW I missed something not having a son. I've never been to a Monster Jam! I'm glad everyone had a blast!