Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Winnie the Pooh

In this tough economic climate I have found one guy that is just as busy as ever. He's a tubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff. If that doesn't ring a bell and you some how missed the title, I am talking about Winnie the Pooh. Pooh has been around forever and based on a quick gander around Braden's room he appears to be gaining strength.

A.A. Milne wrote stories about the honey crazed bear based on his son Christopher Robin's stuffed bear Winnie the Pooh. Pooh's friends were based on other stuffed animals and a few real animals living near their home. He was first published all the way back in 1926, so Pooh was actually around before Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs. He was around a long time before WWII and he is still around today. Later the Walt Disney machine got their hands on Pooh and put him on the big screen in 1966. He is still gracing the small screen today with a show called My Friends Tigger and Pooh . Tigger apparently has grown in popularity that rivals his chubby honey eating friend.

I am frankly amazed at the exposure this bear is still getting after 80 years. We have more Pooh or Tigger branded things than I can count. We have pants, shirts, shoes, socks, hats, bibs, pajamas, and coats from the clothing department. We have towels, wash cloths, and robes from the bathing department. We have rattles, keys, and crawling talking Pooh in the toy department. I almost forgot that we have blankets too. Pooh and friends even make their appearance on diapers and wipe boxes. These are just the things that can be found in our home. A quick glance at the Internet shows you can find strollers, car seats, high chairs, swings, bouncy chairs, lamps, books, movies, more toys, cups, humidifiers, teethers, diaper bags, and even a battery powered Tigger toothbrush. Basically Disney has put Pooh or Tigger on anything they can market to children or parents, and if you have had a child recently you know that is a ridiculous amount of stuff.

Everywhere I look I see his face. He outnumbers me in my own home about 100 to 1. Most people fear nuclear war, terrorists, global warming or some other possible doom. I admit there are plenty of other things to fear, but I fear Winnie the Pooh. While the old song claimed he was a willy, nilly, silly old bear, I am going to keep my eye on him just in case.

5 comments:

Bee (the one who muses) said...

Wow. That's a lot of Pooh. (I crack myself up!)

Anonymous said...

Your house will be filled with Pooh. It's only going to get worse. I don't blame you for fearing Pooh. I too keep an eye on him and his minions. I think they get together at night when we're sleeping and plot the world's demise.

Friggin Pooh!

Anonymous said...

I've seen adult women with Winnie the Pooh bags and hair-wear, and tigger too :-0. I wouldn't go that far myself, but I do think he is awful cute, and kind of not-in-your-face smart.~Mary

WeaselMomma said...

Be on the look out for Heffalumps and Woozles. One got into our house on Christmas.

Anonymous said...

The cult of Pooh goes deep. if I had a dollar for every chick I've seen with a pooh tattoo. . .we'll I'd have 5 dollars. but even so the reach that this honey addict / glutton and his hyperactive, stimulant driven spring tailed friend is insane.