Monday, February 2, 2009

Will My Son Play the Guitar?

I was driving back to the office from my lunch date with a turkey sandwich wondering what I might write about today. We had a busy weekend with both sets of grandparents. My parents were in town to visit Saturday. Then we had a fish fry and watched the Super Bowl with Arica's parents on Sunday. That was the leading contender for my post until the radio changed my mind. As I pulled up to the office I heard the soft strumming guitar opening to "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd.

That song always takes me back to my college days when I was desperately seeking help from all my musically inclined fraternity brothers. I wanted them to show me some cords on the guitar or teach me some songs. I eventually learned G, C, D, E, A, A minor, E minor and maybe some others. After hours of practice on other peoples guitars I was able to mangle them into bad renditions of a few songs. The one thing I loved best was playing that riff from "Wish You Were Here". It was my go to guitar move and I still try and play it today whenever I see a guitar.

So as I heard it this afternoon I had to wonder if my son would have any musical talents. My mother wanted me to take piano lessons but I refused thinking it was for girls. Obviously I was wrong. I would love to be able to play me a song Mr. Piano Man, but I have never taken one musical lesson of any kind. Should I encourage Braden to play an instrument. Will he understand how cool he would be if he could play the piano or guitar. Actually any musical instrument can be cool in the right setting. Just take the E Street Band from the super bowl last night for example. Sure they have drums and Silvio playing the guitar, but that's not all. Right alongside they have that giant guy playing the sax and a whole brass section in the back. Music is a fun thing and I hope my son gets into it more than I did. In order for him to do that though he will have to inherit some musical talent from some other member of the family because that all passed me by.

Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd

No comments: