Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Babies Try to Eat Everything

Since most of my regular readers are parents themselves the title of this post will come as no surprise. Everyone knows that a baby will put anything and everything they can get their grubby paws on directly into their mouth. Our pediatrician once told us that is how they explore their surroundings. They have very little feeling early on so they check things out by taste. Listen to me babies of the world. If the only option you have for exploration is tasting things then you are better off being ignorant of your surroundings. It is a dirty world out there. Exploration by taste would be the equivalent of us grown-ups picking out a new shirt by tyring to eat it. It makes no sense for people big or small. Of course babies poop their pants too. You don't see adults doing that either, at least until a very advanced age.

The more understandable reason that babies chew on everything is because they are teething. Braden has been chewing on things bringing on proclamations he was teething for quite a while. When we visited the doctor last week he confirmed that Braden was teething. He said it was on the bottom middle because he curled his fingers to that area. So far so good with that grand adventure. Braden's favorite trick is to try and put his entire fist in his mouth. He can nearly do it. Sometimes he changes it up and tries to get both hands in his mouth at once. He eats stuffed animals, hard toys, books, shirts, bibs, and blankets. All this teething and chewing leads to plenty of slobber. Living with a 4 month old baby is a slobbery situation any way you cut it. I don't mind it at all but I walk around constantly with a wet spot on my right shoulder. This is where I hold Braden most often and thus his favorite chewing spot on daddy. It dries quickly unless it is right after he has his green veggies.

Since Braden tries to eat everything in his path I decided to document one such occurrence. The video is a little dark. That is my fault. I am an engineer after all not a camera man. Here is Braden trying to eat one of those soft noisy books.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the lovely little rash that comes with all that constant slobber. That's fun too. Not to mention teething interrupts their sleep habits, undoing all the hard work you've done thus far.

Isabella said...

Cute video!

We have that book as well - that was a favorite for Peanut to chew on. I noticed she never went after the specially designed teething corners though...I guess that's just no fun.

ShankRabbit said...

Oh the drool. I've actually taken quite the liking to the artistic and abstract designs that drool can make on clothing and skin.

cIII said...

I've often wondered what would happen if, when I was upset about something, I just threw a big 'ol Shit Fit.

It works for babies. Why not me? You hear me World? You will do my bidding when I throw a Tantrum!

Tom said...

When they get mobile, they can really start exploring things to put in their mouths. This is when you have to vacuum like crazy. Or get a dog.

Momo Fali said...

Aw! He's so cute! This takes me back to the slobbery days when my son used to chew on more stuff than our puppy ever did!

WeaselMomma said...

What a cutie!
BTW, he will resume this behavior as a teenager.

Jen said...

My 4 year old has never lost this oral fixation. I am a little worried.

Dto3 said...

Great site. Great name for your son.

Mike said...

WeaselMomma is right, as a teenager he will still be trying to put things in his mouth he's not supposed to. Pencils, erasers, finger nails, etc....