Monday, March 16, 2009

Baby Shots Round Two

This morning was Braden's 4 month doctor visit. At his last visit he received his first round of shots. While I wrote here that the shots were not so bad last time, Braden seemed to be much more anti shots today. He clearly voiced his displeasure when the nurse plunged her needle into his chubby little thigh. It's hard to watch them cry from pain, but it has to be done. The painful crying doesn't last long before it turns into an I am mad scream. The I am mad scream can be gently calmed by a loving mother. It is at times like these that a baby just wants mommy. After getting dressed and put back in his car seat all was well again in little Braden's world.

The bigger news is that Braden has been cleared for green veggies. That is the doctor's term not mine. I would be more inclined to call it jars of green goo. Some of the jars I have seen remind me of the Veggie Boy drink that Woody once hocked on Cheers. It was a supposedly nutritious green slime that Woody advertised but hated. Frasier then hypnotized him into liking the drink which subsequently went out of business. Woody now a crazed Veggie Boy fan plans to grow kale so he can make his own green drink. You can be certain that no matter how much Braden likes his new Veggie Boy slime we will not be planting a garden and buying an industrial size food processor. I fully expect to have further stories to share on this topic after we take a test run.

The doctors tell you that it is of the utmost importance for your children to get proper nutrition during their early years. Our pediatrician said that a child grows about half of his total height by the time he is 2 years old. This is why proper nutrition for babies is so important. As I watch my new favorite show, Mark and Olly, I can see what the lack of proper nutrition can do to a person. The Machigenga men are about 5 feet tall. While they are certainly on breast milk at first their nutrition following that must not be too great. Apparently eating monkeys and bugs does not a tall Machigenga make. Knowing what is at stake Arica and I will forge ahead with feeding our little man spoonful after spoonful of the gooey goodness that will now makeup a vital part of his diet.

7 comments:

Cajoh said...

Makes you wonder at what point they stop telling you that nutrition is important.

Rob said...

Glad to hear the shots went well, it sucks as they get older my daughter needed 2 shots at her 18 month visit and let me tell you it doesn't easier but it is necessary. Glad to hear he is cleared for green goo. LOL

Ryan@Cool Dad Central said...

That is one of the worst things we parents have to experience. But I always tell them "It's better than the plague." But they are too busy crying to appreciate my advice. They'll thank me one day...

Pam said...

the green light on green veggies? i've never heard of dr. saying o.k. to foods depending on colors and such. but i'm old school ya know...oldest is 21 and the other two are 12 & 10. it is never experience to see your child cry, hurt, or be in pain no matter the reason.
@ryan-cool dad central-i cry, but i know it's better than the plague lol

Otter Thomas said...

@CaJoh: Maybe if there is a cut off point there is hope for me yet.

@Rob: I am sure it will always suck.

@Ryan: Hilarious. That kind of comment is right up my alley.

@Ciara: He said green vegetables first then we can move on. I don't know why.

Jen said...

Good luck with the green veggies. My advice, start with sweet peas. Oh and beware of the diapers after.;)

Anonymous said...

Oh man I am not looking foward to shots. I know she will need them, but I hate to see my little girl in pain.

I think that will be a mommy thing. . .