Thursday, March 12, 2009

I Am Rasing a Small Man


Braden is four months old today. The time has flown by so fast it makes me dizzy. I can't believe that it has been four months since that crazy day in the hospital. It has been four months since I first learned to change a dirty diaper. It has been four months since I became a dad.

I always thought I would want Braden to grow up to toddler age quickly. I thought it would be more fun when he could walk, talk, and play with me. I couldn't wait to start playing baseball and all the other fun sports and games. I was obviously wrong to think that way. Babies are so small and wonderful, and no one wants to hurry along past that stage. Whether we want to hurry or not the time is going by at warp speed.

There are classifications for babies that, frankly, I don't understand. They start out as a newborn. Then they are just a baby I guess. After that they graduate to toddler and then normal every day screaming children. I don't really know the rules that decide which age group starts where. I do know that every day Braden looks less like a baby and more like a little man. He is wearing more jeans and shoes and less onesies and socks. He recently got his first pair of Converse Chuck Taylors. I think that should be some indication of how fast he is growing up. He is still a baby but to me he is growing towards adulthood at an alarming rate. Every day I think more and more that I am raising a small man.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time goes by disgustingly fast. Don't miss a thing.

WeaselMomma said...

My baby girl is now in High School. It happens fast. Don't blink.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, enjoy babyhood while you can. They still aren't completely mobile at this stage and that' a GOOD thing. As soon as they start walking...well, even before that, they are into EVERYTHING.

Anonymous said...

It's so true about the speed of their development. When I look at my kids, it's sometimes difficult to remember when they were so small. Then I look at all the photos of them when they were new born babies and I simply can't believe it. This is why I decided to be an at-home dad...so I can get the most out of these very fleeting years. Great blog, btw. I added you to my blogroll. Keep up the great writing!

Tom said...

They do grow up fast. Get lots of pictures, lots of video. You'll want to remember the days when he was small enough to fit in the crook of your arm. It'll come in handy when he's old enough to storm into his room and slam his door.

Jason said...

He's so adorable. I love it when they start wearing "big guy" clothes and start showing a bit of personality. Like everybody says, it happens quick. It seems like you spend the entire first few months waiting for them to do something, anything, but once they start...look out.

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. Just the other day it hit me how fast my first born made it to 8 years of age. It made me a little weepy I have to say.