Friday, March 20, 2009

The Joys of Fatherhood

I have used this space several times to document the new trials of fatherhood. I have noted that all of these lessons can't be learned until you become a dad. Last Fatherhood Friday I even went as far as suggesting that clown school might be a better option than no training at all. Of course all of this is just a comedic look at the reality of fatherhood. In no way am I upset about the lack of knowledge going into this adventure. There are some things that are just better left to first hand experience.

There are many wonderful surprises brought on by fatherhood as well. No, every surprise is not found in a diaper along with a terrible odor. There are so many joys of fatherhood that are unexplained to the expecting father as well. No one would dare try put into words what it means to have your own child. There is no way you can ever understand what it's like until it happens to you.

On this Fatherhood Friday I am remembering some of the new experiences of fatherhood that bring a smile to my face. In order to document them all I would need a camera on me at all times. The joys come that often although some edititng would be required. The awe of the situation hits you right from the first moment. Braden's birth was so awe inspiring to me that I nearly passed out. I got a little dizzy and actually had to sit down for the big moment. I tried to tough it out until the nurses started paying me a little too much attention and actually commented on my green color. I have never passed out before or even come close. It was not because of the medical things happening but because of the sheer intensity of the moment and all my feelings converging on me at once. With all that was happening I forgot to breathe.

That is the feeling of being a dad for the first time. Sometimes it is so wonderful that you forget to breathe. The first time I ever held Braden was one of the greatest moments of my life. The picture is part of my title block at the top of the blog and I look at it every day. All I could do was stare at him. Eventually I started talking to him about anything and everything. I was too happy. The happiness turns into a bit of uneasiness or even fear when it is time to go home. The fear, however, is easily trumped by the wonderful days to come.

Since coming home we, of course, have had the normal issues that come with a new baby. It is hard work, but with the amazing love that my wife and I both have for Braden it is easy to muster up the energy to take on all challenges. All the sleeplessness in the world could never take away the joy of Braden's smile when he first sees you in the morning. My favorite part of every day is when I come home from work. He always greets me with a smile. Other sure fire smile inducers are the way he laughs at our dogs or the one hundred different facial expressions he uses every day. I love holding him and walking around the house. We go from window to window looking outside at the big, bright world. I never want to stop squeezing him with a big hug. Another great thing is watching him and Arica together. They share such a special bond and it is wonderful to witness.

No one could ever understand the sheer joy that comes from such little things without being a dad. I make jokes about difficulties and my lack of knowledge, but the fact is I love going through this new experience with Braden and Arica. We all learn together. We all depend on one another. No matter how things go each of us is always there to love the others. What a true joy it is to be a new dad and a husband to those two wonderful people.

20 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

Sweet post! :)

Anonymous said...

Right on. Couldn't have said it better.

Andrew's Daddies said...

Good post!!!!!!
I can't speak for all the gay dads out here from Dad-blogs..but you are moving up the HD (hot dads) list of my top 10.
Having a child changes your life. Even watching something on TV about a father and son or daughter hits me more emotionally than it did before our son.

Jason said...

It's been awhile since my boys were born but yeah, you'll never forget it. Your surprises and experiences are only just beginning :D

BellaDaddy said...

and, my friend, it only gets better and better ;-)

Russ said...

Heck clown school would be helpful. You could make those balloon animals and learn the antics that should make the kids laugh! I'd skip the makeup though.

Tom said...

"There is no way you can ever understand what it's like until it happens to you."

I cannot overemphasize how true this is. Until you're a parent, you really can't imagine what it's like. It's almost surreal, a sort of next evolutionary step in your growth as a man. Great post.

Otter Thomas said...

@Melisa: Thanks

@Daddy Files: I'm glad we agree.

@Andrew's Daddies: I'm flattered

@Jason: That is what I am afraid of

@Bella Daddy: I know it will

@Russ: I thought it was a good idea too. Balloon animals, juggling, etc.

@Tom: surreal is a perfect word for it

Anonymous said...

For me its my son's laugh. One of these days I need to record it and use it as a ringtone.

Anonymous said...

A Blog is the perfect tool for documenting all those sweet times, way to go. In the years to come you will come back and relish those moments!

Pam said...

awww that's nice :)

Anonymous said...

Being a dad is the most rewarding experience a man can have.

Anonymous said...

Aw, such a sweet post. I love having the Dad's perspective on this unbelievable moment. You know, even after 3 boys I am still figuring things out, so it's ok to not have all the answers. Figuring it out as we go along is the fun part, and I know it is for my husband as well. : )

Rob said...

Being a dad is AWESOME. Would not change that for anything.

Isabella said...

From the mom's perspective - it amazes me to see the sheer joy and love ShankRabbit has for our daughter. He doesn't have to say a word...it's right there on his face. :)

WeaselMomma said...

It is some pretty amazing stuff.

Joeprah said...

Yep, like Mocha said. Great post man, this brought me back.

Otter Thomas said...

@PJ: Nothing quite like a child's laughter.

@MileHighDad: It will be fun looking back at this some day.

@Ciara: Thanks

@Rob, Mocah, WeaselMomma: Agreed

@NYCity and Isabella: us dad's are different but we are crazy about our kids just the same

@Joe: Thanks. Glad to be your Doc Brown helping take you back

Jen said...

This is so cool to hear about from a Dad's perspective. I am so glad that you wrote this. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi friend.. Interesting post.. Nice blog work.. keep it up..
will drop by your site often.. Do find time to visit my blog and post your comments..
Have a great day.. Cheers!!!