Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lullabies that Parents Love

Lullabies have probably been around nearly as long as babies. I am sure thousands of years ago mothers were singing or grunting something to their newborns. The soft sounds often help a baby sleep. When Braden was having trouble sleeping a friend of ours made a CD full of songs that helped his daughter sleep. Of course the CD did not work at all for us but that is not my point. I was listening to the CD with Braden and my wife while we worked on getting him to sleep one night. A few songs went by that I did not pay any attention to then suddenly there was an instrumental lullaby that sounded familiar. I started humming along then singing. The song was "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day. The YouTube video at the bottom of this post plays that exact song. After the song was over there were other old Green Day favorites along with The Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana. I have seen on the Internet CDs for The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash and others. I have no idea how well these things work on most babies. Like I said they didn't work for us at all, but I fully support the idea anyway. It is a great age we live in when we have such great lullaby options for our children. That night I was sad when the CD ended. I wanted to listen to the songs I liked again. Then I was reminded that we had more important things to do like get Braden to sleep. So as long as you don't get distracted like me these lullaby renditions of your favorite songs are a great idea.



No comments: