Friday, January 30, 2009

Super Bowl 2009

The Super Bowl is the most overblown ridiculous sporting event ever imaginable. I say that with an unblemished record as a pure sports nut. I watch sports every chance I get and I have not missed a Super Bowl that I can remember. So I will be watching this year, but I just wanted to note that I think it has gotten out of control. Super Bowl Sunday is one of the biggest party days of the year right up there with New Years Eve and the 4th of July. People that have no idea what constitutes pass interference have been planning parties for weeks. Everyone will be dusting off their best appetizer recipes and digging the grill out of the garage to get ready for the big game.


The game is incredibly secondary to everything else, but for what it is worth I am pretty sure that the Steelers will win. I will be pulling for the Cardinals because I am more of an underdog supporter. I think half of the people at my brother-in-laws party will be cheering for the commercials. Somewhere amongst the 5 hour pregame, the incredibly important commercials, Bruce Springsteen, and alternating trips to the bathroom and the buffet line there might even be a good game.


With all of this in mind I would like to introduce 2 things that I hope change by the time Braden is enjoying Super Bowl parties.

  1. Move the Super Bowl to Saturday: You can't have a great party when you have to go to work the next day. It would be so much better if the big game was followed by a day of rest. After college football is over the NFL plays regular season and playoff games on Saturday so there is really no reason not to move the Super Bowl as well.

  2. Stop with the Roman Numerals: We are not Roman for one thing and we have our own system of numbers as well but that is not what I propose we use. How about calling this the 2009 Super Bowl. What a novel idea! When remembering Super Bowls past we remember them by the year not if they were the 14th, 28th, or 43rd Super Bowl in the history of the NFL. This makes no sense so let's stop it now.
This is my plea to the world out there. After all isn't it a dad's job to try and make the future a better place for his children. So help me get these changes made. Don't do it for me. Do it for the kids.

No comments: